Friday, April 08, 2005

The Easter Tree


The Easter Tree
by Daniel Robinson

As I moved the old chair hiding the view from my new cottage study on Easter morn
I felt Him bringing the outer to the inner of my soul
The symbolism of three days of rain and flood last night wasn’t wasted on me
Walking three miles home late last evening upon
Running out of gas is nothing new to my distracted mind like so many other things
Taken for granted until they are needed
Feeling reminded of my need for deep rootedness each step taken seemed to sink
Deeper into the soil so that I might bare some real fruit.

The pond out my window is overflowing with the weepings of heaven reminding
Me of the Night Sea Journey Jesus spent in Joseph’s tomb
Was my body with His last night begging for mercy for another chance
At rebirth, rediscovery, and replanting?
Was the Easter note I sent to Uncle John to be read to mother this morning
Actually intended for my heart and soul?
Now that the window is in full view I feel Him reminding me of His nudging
It is not one of the great arts of the body, just a little soul gift.

So now I see the tree’s large trunk emerging from the dark earth
A very tall long leaf yellow pine
Two hurricanes of summer past pull it at ten-thirty into the sunset
Tempting men to pull her on down
As my body takes on its presence I can feel it leaning on the good Lord
To take me into the sunset of my years
It is perfectly centered in my view saying look at me and learn a lesson about you
The pond’s reflection of this leaner is in the bottom of all I can see.

Gazing up from the waters of my unconscious and into the clouds of my soul
I see not one but two leaning trees
The two trees are so perfectly aligned I saw only one until I looked up
Amazing! All my life maybe I have been seeing only one
Has He been seeing two of me all along and I have been too busy running out of gas?
So if there are two what else am I leaning on from You into the sunset?
As I whisper this question out loud to make sure She hears me clearly
I hear her usual soft, warm answer inside my heart.

As I gaze out into the pond I see that yesterday’s tadpoles are now swimming as frogs
Could one of them be my yesterday’s dream?
Drops of yesternight’s fog condense in the corners of my eyes as the light from
Heaven dance across the tiny ripples on the pond
I take a deep breath and feel the spirit move within me beside still waters
I know I have been in the presence of the Lord
What do your hear in the quietness of this moment?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home